For those fasting, the most excruciating moments of the day are the last two hours before iftar. You’ve already gone without food and water for the past 12 hours, and the smells of all kinds of food fill your nostrils, and drive you to an almost drunk state of confusion. You try, as hard as you can to ignore the hunger pains, and be a good Muslim. You try to remember that there are people all over the world that won’t be able to have a full meal of machboos and samosas tonight.
But, there’s a reason why we aren’t judged by our thoughts. Here are 15 thoughts we have had this Ramadan, and we aren’t even a third of the way there!
- Oh my god I still have another 1 hour, 43 minutes and 12 seconds?!
- I smell chicken, and beef and fish. all at the same time.
- Let me go check on the food in the kitchen…maybe I can breathe in some of the fumes.
- If I close my eyes and don’t think about anything I might fall asleep.
- If I don’t move from the couch, I won’t waste any more calories before Iftar.
- Let me just check and see if the refrigerator door can still be opened, and closed, and opened and closed.
- I swear time has stopped.
- I’ll wash up for prayer again, and pay extra attention to gargling with water.
- If I don’t think about fasting, I might forget I’m fasting and “accidently” eat something.
- Sucking my thumb won’t break my fast, will it? What if I add a bit of kiwi and dark chocolate lotion?
- I’m getting hangry, I should isolate myself in my room or all this hunger won’t mean anything.
- Whoever said a watched sun never sets was so right.
- I’ll watch the Food Network and get some ideas for tomorrow’s Iftar.
- The Food Network before Iftar is a bad idea.
- I’m willing to give up food forever for just a drink of water. Just one glass!