George Bernard Shaw once lamented “there is no sincerer love than the love of food.”
I’m pretty sure this Irish playwright has never set foot in good ol’ K-town but one can playfully attest he probably had our food and beverage industry in mind with that quote.
As a Personal Trainer in Kuwait, I always seem to hear the same war cry amongst clients- that it’s so hard to eat somewhat healthily when dining out.
For an individual who is always on the go, I find that this is simply not true. I tend to prep 70% of my meals at home and the rest of the 30%, I dine out. I never feel like I’m suffering or am in some social-exile, as most restaurants will try their best and cater to your culinary whim, no matter how ludicrous it may sound (to them ya3ni, to them!). Trust me, I know, for I’m always pushing the culinary boundaries and their patience when it comes to me and my food.
One of my favorite restaurants to eat at has to be Prime&Toast. The 2 branches at Al Bida’a and by Seef Palace, famed for its gastronomic brunch delights (if it’s your cheat meal, do try their French Toast, Eggs Benedict and Sliders!) will cater to your health trip.
In preparation for my recent bodybuilding competition, I used to have breakfast at their Al Bida’a eatery almost on a daily basis as it was close-by to a client’s place.
8 poached egg whites with a side order of fresh zaatar and olive oil. That’s roughly 29g protein, 2g carbs and 14g of good fats at 250kcals per dish.
I sometimes would even modify it and throw in grilled chicken for a bit more of a protein boost.
The staff are super-friendly and will go out of their way to help you with your order. I’ve also dined in during lunch and have modified some of their dishes; my fave being their pumpkin and beetroot salad. It originally comes with goat cheese but seeing I don’t eat dairy, opted for grilled chicken instead. #winning
If you’re after red meat post-workout, try their grilled fillet mignon with a side of roasted sweet potato wedges. It’s the BombDotCom!
Whatever you may fancy, Prime&Toast certainly have got you covered when it comes to healthy meal options. Their eatery by Seef is open 24hours around the clock. Perfect if you’re nocturnal like me and are wanting to grab a bite post your 3am run! You can contact Prime&Toast on Al Bida’a 2225 3131 or Al Seef 2241 1252.
Reshmi Revi is the Personal Training & Education Manager for MultiWorks Personal Training. She is also an IFBB Bikini Competitor and an avid foodie! Follow her on Instagram @Q8MissFit.