It’s that time of year again! We’ve waved 2015 away and are ready to welcome in 2016. To risk sounding trite, a New Year calls for a fresh, blank slate where which we can jot down our goals in hopes that we’ll have better lives for the next 12 months. From the moment people whip off their cheesy “2016” adorned Elton John-esque sunglasses and finish posting duck-face selfies and countdown videos onto Snapchat and Instagram, (Not to mention Facebook status updates), people tend to vow that January 1st will be the first day of their better lives. So of course, the obvious next step would be to compile a list of extreme resolutions (that many tend to desert by January 10). We’ve compiled a list of cliché (and seldom kept) resolutions that are made, but with a twist! We’ve altered these famous resolutions by including thought-provoking alternatives on how to potentially keep them – at least until May.
Lose Weight: We’ve all heard this Swan Song before– “I’m going to lose 30 Kilos this year!” (It always HAS to be kilos, doesn’t it, Kuwait?) But let us ask you this…why do you want to lose all the kilos? We at bazaar are always on a diet, and only 25% of us are committed to it, while the other 75% are currently munching on Burger King and a now empty box of Krispy Kreme lays abandoned on the desk. That’s the key to losing weight, or trying to improve your health – don’t take it to the extreme! Unless you have a serious health issue that pertains to your weight, and you’re extremely committed to losing those 30 kilos, then take the steps to improve your health by eating better. Otherwise, don’t be afraid of the kilos! If Mashallah your health isn’t in any danger, but you’re not a size 0, who cares and work with what you got! Cut out the white carbs and sugars only because they’re bad for you, but extreme weight loss is not always the key to happiness or the secret to having a better year.
Spending More Time with Family and Friends: This is always a great resolution to have, as it’s important to keep close bonds with your loved ones, but try putting the “quality” back in “quality time” by pretending it’s 1997 and putting away your Smart Phones. Uninterrupted coffee and conversation goes a long way.
Join the Gym: To be fair, lots of people are committed to their gym routines, and studies show that January has the most new members registered at local gyms. For many people (myself included) this commitment ends right after Valentine’s Day. If you do join a gym, abandon the idea of working out for aesthetic reasons to take the pressure off, and remember the mental health benefits that go along with physical activity. Also, you’re paying for it – don’t throw your money away. And remember, going to the gym isn’t the only way you can stay in shape – consult our 2016 Dining and Delivery Guide’s Healthy Living section for great mamshas to trek around in.
Learn How to Play an Instrument: If you do learn to play the piano by the end of the year, we applaud you, but you have to realize that this will take time, money, commitment and effort. However, this is what we like to call a ‘filler’ resolution. There’s nothing wrong with not knowing how to play an instrument.
Travel to More Interesting Places: Another great resolution, but not always realistic. This is a resolution many people should have, but there shouldn’t be a time limit (especially not a year!) If you have the means to travel, then take advantage of it – but it isn’t the most economic activity! Consider trying new things instead by expanding your horizons in terms of food, reading material, and cultures you find interesting. You’ll discover that you can easily travel to different worlds without having to leave the comforts of your own home.
Stop Procrastinating: Much easier said than done – believe us, we know—so we would never shame anyone for losing the battle against this nasty habit. What we will suggest, though, is if you’re going to procrastinate, do it right! Don’t just shut down and waste time, do something useful. Organize your thoughts, feed your body and mind, and do what you really want to do if it’s going to help you get back on track with whatever you were working on
Just For Fun
NEW YEAR, NEW YOU?
bazaar gets blunt about New Year’s Resolutions
You might also like