Neymar Jr. has teamed up with Red Bull to create a five-a-side street football competition – a championship that is open to amateur and semi-professional footballers aged between the age of 16 and 25. The tournament will be contested first at a local level, then in a national final and will be concluded in a global final in Praia Grande, São Paulo, where the Brazil and Barcelona star’s career started.
The side who comes out on top in the World Final will win an extra special prize; the chance to meet Neymar Jr. and watch a Barça match at the Camp Nou in the VIP area.
Neymar Jr.’s 5 features one twist compared to normal five-a-side football – every time a team scores, the opposition loses a player. The games will last for ten minutes, however, if a team manages to eliminate all players on the other side, they take the victory before the full time ends.
In Kuwait, the tournament will kick off on May 2nd, hosting eight qualifiers and giving 128 teams the chance to take part in this global competition. The qualifiers will take place in Hassan Abul (May 2-3) “Goal” football fields in Fahaheel (May 11-12), Al Shaab (May 15-16) Al Jahra (May 19) and in Kuwait University’s Adailiya campus (May 23). Teams of 5-7 players can sign up now via www.neymarjrsfive.com to represent Kuwait in Brazil.
“I always dreamed of putting on my own signature tournament and inviting the best teams over to my hometown. I’m really looking forward to seeing what these players can do and to having a great time doing it with them,” said Neymar Jr.
To celebrate the launch of Neymar Jr.’s new signature football tournament “Neymar Jr.’s Five”, we asked the Brazil captain to pick the four current players he would want alongside him in a five-man team.
Which players would Neymar Jr. choose to play alongside him if he was limited to a five-a-side team? Read on to discover the awesome foursome he would pick to join him.
Neymar on Lionel Messi: “Right from the start, Messi had helped me a lot in Barcelona, both on and off the field. We have a great relationship and I want to continue playing and getting better alongside him. He’s the best player in the world.”
Neymar on Luis Suárez: “Luis is a great player and should’ve been on the podium for the Ballon d’Or as well. With Luis and Leo [Messi], the secret is that we enjoy playing together and we try to play well and have fun at the same time.”
Neymar on Thiago Silva: “Thiago Silva is one of the toughest defenders I’ve ever had to play against, and someone I’ve always admired. He’s also a great man and a great captain.”
Neymar on Dani Alves: “When I arrived at Barcelona, he was my partner on the right wing and we formed a great relationship. Dani is one of my best friends in football as well, so it would be fantastic to have him in the team.”
Here are Five interesting facts about Neymar
- By the age of 10, Neymar Jr. was already considered a rising star of the football world.
- His unforgettable performances on the pitch have earned him the adoration of the Brazilian fans, scoring within 28 minutes on his debut match for the national team did much to cement his place among the greats.
- He is often compared to legends Robinho and Pelé and, as such, he has attracted some very generous bids from many European teams.
- Neymar Jr. started his career with the São Paulo-based club Santos in 2003, having been promoted to the first team aged 17. His debut match was in March 2009 against Oeste and the following week he scored his first goal with the team against Mogi Mirim.
- He is credited with helping reinvigorate the Brazilian nation’s passion for the sport through his creativity and spontaneous style on the pitch. In August 2010, he made his international debut for Brazil against the USA and scored his first goal (28 mins) and secured a 1-0 victory for the team.
Interested in playing with the best? Don’t forget to visit www.neymarjrsfive.com for more information and to sign your team up!